Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Quick Trip to Amish Country

It was a quick trip -- Thursday afternoon through Friday afternoon -- but Rod and I took the chance to combine business with pleasure in Amish Country. The business side was attending the Holmes Co. Fabric Show, which was held at The Carlisle Inn in Walnut Creek, Ohio. I had a scheduled meeting with my sales rep, Mark Pytel, with Moda Fabrics. I also got to meet Iris Cohen, my area rep with Indo US Sales, Inc. I found some great brown and black prints and some new fall solid colors that I hope to incorporate into our curtain line. I'm pretty excited about the Natural Solid, which gives another softer choice in addition to our present Lin 'n Spun fabric. Below are a few samples of the new colors:


Now, for the best-kept secret in Berlin, Ohio! We were fortunate to find this gorgeous log cabin called Simple Blessings Cabin, owned by Mark and Brenda Zimmerman.


There are two private rooms on the lower level, and the "big cabin" on top. We stayed in the Faith Room, aka the "big cabin." Waiting on the kitchen table were the most scrumptious Peanut Butter cookies I've ever eaten! (courtesy of Fannie Troyer, who shares the caretaking duties with husband, Nelson). All the comforts of home were at our fingertips with nothing left undone. There were even fresh eggs in the frig! The view inside and out was breathtaking, and we enjoying sitting on the porch swing and looking down onto a small lake and sheep grazing in the pasture.



The view from the front porch

The cabin was equipped with Dish TV, but it was also stocked with CD's, DVD's, and board games. The only thing we didn't have was internet connection, so both Rod and I were grounded from checking anything "business".


The kitchen.

Looking up to the Loft

The loft bedroom/sitting room is decorated in a Retro Theme.

I love this old wagon that was sitting at the top of the stairs.


Looking from the Loft to the Living Room. The fireplace will be nice if we go back in the Fall.


The lower level has two smaller rooms with private entrances. Stairways lead to the upper level, so our entire family could stay here and still have privacy.


Our visit was much too short, and we plan to visit Simple Blessings Cabin again. After staying there, I can't imagine staying anywhere else when we go to Amish country.


. . . until next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna

You mentioned that there would be plenty of room for family to share the cabin. This is your cousin JoAnn and I am ready to go anytime. LOL (Even though I think you meant your children and grandkids) The cabin looks so comfortable. You both look very happy and content in front of the fireplace.

Thanks for sharing your trip,
JoAnn

Donna ~ Homespun Happenings said...

Let's go! Sounds like it's time to plan a girls' getaway! lol

Anonymous said...

Hey ...I'm going too !